1st Worship Service
2nd Worship Service
1600 Colonial Ave
Norfolk, VA 23517
N.E.S.T. - Norfolk
Emergency Shelter TEam
Trinity is hosting NEST
February 12-18, 2014
The Norfolk Emergency Shelter Team (NEST) is an annual city-wide volunteer organization that provides shelter, food, and care for the homeless community from Thanksgiving through Easter.
Trinity supports NEST by loving and caring for this community for one week a year within our four walls. Each evening Trinity welcomes approximately 50 men and women, with nowhere else to go, into our facility for a warm meal and a place to rest. NEST is staffed by over 168 volunteers throughout the week who greet, serve, and spend time with our neighbors.
Click here to volunteer for one or more of the various positions that need to be filled. See below for descriptions of the position duties.
Click here to RSVP for the Sunday morning Pancake Breakfast.
MORNING SHIFT (7:00-8:00AM) - 2 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Sweet and mop floors
- Wipe down tables
- Clean bathrooms
FOOD PREPARATION (6:00-8:00PM) - 4 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Check menu in the binder and locate food in fridges, freezers, etc.
- Prepare dinner for about 60 guests ready to serve at 7:30pm.
- Kitchen manager will offer specific directions for each evening.
DRINK PREPARATION-(6:30-8:30PM) 4 PEOPLE EACH NIGHT
- 2 volunteers outside to serve coffee to our guests prior to entry.
- Prepare coffee, water and lemonade to be ready by 7:00pm
- Start coffee at 6:30 pm, using coffee machine make up three carafes of DECAF, & 2 carafes of hot water for tea and cocoa.
- Lemonade – make 3 gallons in the big thermos container.
- Water – fill up second big thermos and add ice. Water stays out for the guests all night.
- Place spoons, creamer, sugar and cups on drink table. (One table for coffee and one table for lemonade and water)
- Monitor the table and clean up and replenish as needed.
- Save remaining lemonade in smaller container
ROOM SET UP-(6-7PM) 2 PEOPLE EACH NIGHT
- Set up mats, tables, chairs (check diagram for room setup)
- Put salt/pepper, condiments and silverware on the table
SERVER DUTIES (7:30-9:00PM) 5 PEOPLE EACH NIGHT
- Make sure the paper products are ready for dinner.
- Dinner is served at approximately 7:45 or once all guests are registered
- Take plated food from kitchen to the guests
- Serve deserts to guest once all food has been served
- Clear off tables
- Take out trash
- Refill drinks as needed.
VISITING (8:00-9:00PM) 2 PEOPLE EACH NIGHT
- Get to know our guests by sitting and chatting with them
CLEAN UP/NEXT DAY PREP(7:30-9PM)-2 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Ensure kitchen is completely clean-dishes and pots washed, counters wiped with disinfectant, floors cleared of food debris.
- Wipe down tables and take down and replace with mats.
- Make sure drink area is cleaned.
- Empty all trash to the dumpster. Access through kitchen door.
- Under “Breakfast Items” sign place cereal, bowls, spoons, cups, etc.
- In Kitchen book find the menu items for the next day and put on butcher block.
- Cleaning supplies should be in the side kitchen
REGISTRATION (6:45-8:00PM) - 2 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Greet and conduct sign in process.
- Hand out toiletries.
DOOR GREETER (6:45-8:00PM) - 3 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Greet guests upon arrival.
- Conduct the lottery.
- *Must have at least one male volunteer each night.
SMOKING MONITOR (7:45-9:45PM) - 3 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Monitor smoking area.
- Track smoking passes
- *Only the outdoor volunteer will encounter smoke.
NIGHT SHIFT (9:30PM-7:00AM) - 4 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Ensure lights out policy.
- Monitor guests overnight.
- Set up breakfast.
- Conduct wake-up calls.
PANCAKE BREAKFAST (6:30-8:30AM) - 12 PEOPLE, SUNDAY MORNING
- Prep breakfast in kitchen
- Serve breakfast
- Clean-up duties
For more information, please contact Derrick & Alison Thompson.