1st Worship Service
2nd Worship Service
1600 Colonial Ave
Norfolk, VA 23517
N.E.S.T. - Norfolk
Emergency Shelter TEam
Trinity is hosting NEST
February 18-25, 2015
The Norfolk Emergency Shelter Team (NEST) is an annual city-wide volunteer organization that provides shelter, food, and care for the homeless community from Thanksgiving through Easter.
Trinity supports NEST by loving and caring for this community for one week a year within our four walls. Each evening Trinity welcomes approximately 50 men and women, with nowhere else to go, into our facility for a warm meal and a place to rest. NEST is staffed by over 168 volunteers throughout the week who greet, serve, and spend time with our neighbors.
If you are prepping or serving food at NEST, please take time to go through training to receive a food handler’s license either online at www.statefoodsafety.com ($15, approx. 1 hour) or attending the class Monday or Thursday morning weekly, from 9:00-10:30am or Thursday afternoon weekly, 3:00-4:30pm ($10) at the Huntersville Neighborhood Service Center - 830 Goff Street Norfolk, VA. This is REQUIRED for 50% of our servers and VERY IMPORTANT so that we take the best care of our guests as we possibly can! Questions? Ask Hayden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to volunteer for one or more of the various positions that need to be filled. See below for descriptions of the position duties.
Click here to RSVP for the Sunday morning Pancake Breakfast. This is a time for all ages to join our guests for a meal!
MORNING SHIFT (7:00-8:00AM) - 2 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Sweet and mop floors
- Wipe down tables
- Clean bathrooms
Ash Wednesday Door Greeters (5:45-7:00pm) - 3 PEOPLE
- Help direct the homeless guests to the service if they so wish
FOOD PREPARATION (6:00-8:00PM) - 4 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Check menu in the binder and locate food in fridges, freezers, etc.
- Prepare dinner for about 60 guests ready to serve at 7:30pm
- Kitchen manager will offer specific directions for each evening
OUTSIDE COFFEE -(6:00-7:30PM) 2 PEOPLE EACH NIGHT
- Dress warm!
- Prepare and serve coffee outside to the guests while waiting for NEST to begin
SET UP/INSIDE DRINK PREP -(6-8:30PM) 2 PEOPLE EACH NIGHT
- Lay out mats and blankets for guests
- Set the tables
- Prepare drinks and set up coffee
SERVER DUTIES (7:30-9:00PM) 4 PEOPLE EACH NIGHT
- Make sure the paper products are ready for dinner
- Dinner is served at approximately 7:45 or once all guests are registered
- Take plated food from kitchen to the guests
- Serve deserts to guest once all food has been served
- Clear off tables
- Take out trash
- Refill drinks as needed
VISITING (8:00-9:00PM) 2 PEOPLE EACH NIGHT
- Get to know our guests by sitting and chatting with them
CLEAN UP/NEXT DAY PREP(7:30-9PM)-2 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Ensure kitchen is completely clean-dishes and pots washed, counters wiped with disinfectant, floors cleared of food debris
- Wipe down tables and take down and replace with mats
- Make sure drink area is cleaned
- Empty all trash to the dumpster. Access through kitchen door
- Under “Breakfast Items” sign place cereal, bowls, spoons, cups, etc.
- In Kitchen book find the menu items for the next day and put on butcher block
- Cleaning supplies should be in the side kitchen
REGISTRATION (6:45-8:00PM) - 2 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Greet and conduct sign in process
- Hand out toiletries
DOOR GREETER (6:45-8:00PM) - 3 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Greet guests upon arrival
- Conduct the lottery
- *Must have at least one male volunteer each night
SMOKING MONITOR (7:45-9:45PM) - 3 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Monitor smoking area
- Track smoking passes
- *Only the outdoor volunteer will encounter smoke
NIGHT SHIFT (9:30PM-7:00AM) - 4 PEOPLE EACH DAY
- Ensure lights out policy
- Monitor guests overnight
- Set up breakfast
- Conduct wake-up calls
PANCAKE BREAKFAST (6:30-8:30AM) - 12 PEOPLE, SUNDAY MORNING
- Prep breakfast in kitchen
- Serve breakfast
- Clean-up duties
For more information, please contact Derrick & Alison Thompson.